Sunday, May 1, 2011

Making Tarts=Us Pretending to be Fancy


Orange and Rosemary Tart


Orange and Rosemary Tart (from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible)

For the pastry
 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 tbsp cold butter, diced
1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 large egg

For the filling
2 cups fresh orange juice (take the time--it'll make a difference!)
2 sprigs rosemary
scant 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
grated zest of 2 oranges

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Pulse the flour, butter, confectioner's sugar, and rosemary in a food processor until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.  Mix the egg and 2 tbsp water.  Add to the bowl and pulse until the dough comes together, adding more water if needed.  Gather into a thick disk.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2.  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a round about 1/8 inch thick.  Line and 8 inch tart pan with the dough.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes. 
3.  Line the dough with wax paper and fill with beans.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove th paper and beans and bake for 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden.  Remove from the oven.  Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees. 
4.  Meanwhile, make the filling.  Bring the orange juice and rosemary to a boil in a saucepan.  Reduce the heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until reduced to 1 cup.  Strain into a bowl, discarding the rosemary, and let cool.  
5.  Add the sugar, eggs, cream, and orange zest and whisk until combined.  Pour into the pastry shell.  Bake for 35 minutes, or just until the filling is set.  Let cool, remove the sides of the pan, and serve.  








2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad that the chocolate fish turned out good! (I am not surprised) You are so brave for trying anchovies! I don't think that I could do it-I think Jake's baby octopus and squid was enough for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like the following recipes:

    the chocolate stuff you put on your fish...and also...how did you make your fish? I tried cooking salmon and it turned out terribly. boo. And eggs benedict I was thinking about just yesterday - I've never eaten an egg i didn't like. I really love eggs. but I haven't tried this kind yet....

    oh and you don't have to do it if you don't want to. but just FYI I gave you a blogger award. haha. I know it's lame. but I really do love your blog and I want everyone else to enjoy it too. so there you go.

    http://jbclary.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-dont-know-what-it-means.html

    ReplyDelete