Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sterling's Birthday Cake and Pie (Yes, he got both!)

Sterling's 27th birthday was last week on Wednesday, May 25th.  Despite our preferences, the national government still required that he go to work that day--lame!  They must have just forgot that Sterling has been working hard and needed to stay home with his wife on his birthday.  I'll make sure they remember next year!

When Sterling got home, we had a little birthday dinner.  I surprised him with  green Thai curry, rice, mangoes and apple pie for dessert (per request).  Now, I can't say that I would have normally paired curry with apple pie, but it kind of worked...  To celebrate, later than evening, we returned the shirt I got him.  I still haven't mastered the "shopping for your husband" thing, but I am going to keep trying...  I had fun watching him try on saucy workout shirts at Sports Authority.





On that Saturday we had a few friends over to eat some more.  This was my first real attempt of a "fancy" birthday cake.  Now, we really don't put saffron in everything.  I promise!  But!  I just HAD to try it in homemade buttercream frosting.  With a little cinnamon.  The frosting also had a bit more salt in it than your typical frosting, but it gave it this sort of sweet/salty vibe.  Dark chocolate cake covered in butter--that's what we ate.  With a slice of apple pie, ice cream, and Sachi's incredible sponge-type cake with mango cream inside.  Nate, Sachi, and Jared:  thanks for celebrating with us.  It is always a joy!

3 comments:

  1. that cake looks amazing! Is that a chocolate mold on top?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I printed out a lace design from the internet, placed saran wrap over the image, traced it with chocolate, waited for it to harden, and put it on top! (To be honest, I had seen Sterling do something like it before, so I kind of copied him!) How are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bren, I have tried so hard to comment on this and Blogger keeps hating me. So hopefully third time's the charm. That cake is BEAUTIFUL, yay for birthdays, yay for Jared, and of course, yay for saffron.

    ReplyDelete