Monday, October 22, 2012

Week #2: Haberdashery and Tidbinbilla


For all of you who are just dying to know what a hotel in Australia looks like, Sterling and I put together a little video tour of our place.  This was taken last Sunday, the day we got in.  (It is having problems uploading, so I'll try to post it again tomorrow.  Sorry!)

The other day, I set out on an adventure to the library.  Once I figured out how to get into the confusing  building, I got a library card today.  I read some board books to Cora, but I think she thought they were bored books.  She’s still a little young to care about bunny rabbits that talk and sleep in beds.  Then we went to an Asian grocer who introduced me to fresh udon noodles and udon sauce.  I always buy the dry version, but apparently these are way better.  I’m excited to try them out.  Sterling is so good for putting up with my culinary adventures—successful or not.   The smell of kimchee in the air got Cora hungry so we went to a lovely park  to feed her.  (Who doesn’t love eating in a beautiful place?  Only the best for my girl.) After a huge “nappy” blow-out (I’ll spare you the details), we were on our way. 

So,  a “nappy” is apparently a “diaper.”  Now, I know for a fact that Australians speak English, but sometimes I find myself thoroughly confused in conversations.  Between the accent and slang, I am having a hard time coming across as a competent human being.  I mean what would you say if someone asked you where you got your pram?  See what I mean?  Here are a few new words you can add to your Australian vocab:

dummy:  a pacifier
trolley:  a shopping cart
pram:  a stroller
bub:  baby
tablets:  medication
carpark:  parking lot (make sure and say it with the Australian accent!)

I also made the greatest discovery this week:  Lincraft!  It’s this huge craft store within walking distance from our hotel.  I’m starting this little education toy business, so having a store like that close by, will make it much easier to make some prototypes.  Besides being a great place to get craft supplies, it also taught me a new word, haberdashery.   I guess it means notions, as in things like buttons, zippers, and snaps for sewing.  Who knew?

On Saturday, we went on a little adventure to a huge nature reserve called, Tidbinbilla.  Sterling’s co-worker has let us borrow his extra car the whole time we are here, so we have some more freedom J  (Who just has and extra car??)  Sterling is brave and drove on the opposite side of the road to Tidbinbilla—without a GPS, even!  Now, we did make a few wrong turns, on the way there and back, but we totally made it!  I was very impressed with Sterling, as I often am… 


The bird pond and Tidbinbilla

Cora discovering her hands
 Sorry for your mis-matched clothes, Cora! We were trying to cover you up so you didn't get sunburned, but then you just looked like some crazy people dressed you.  
Me and Cora
The video below is of Cora laughing uncontrollably.  This may have been my favorite part of the whole day.  She loves to be bounced!  


Sterling and Cora
The interpreter at the Tidbinbilla visitor center showed us a stuffed platypus (that used to be alive).  I had no idea that they lay eggs like birds, nurse like mammals, and have venom like snakes!  And their fur is unbelievable soft.  Turns out, they are also a lot smaller than I would have imagined.  They are only about the size of a smallish cat.  I left feeling all education and stuff.   

As we wandered around the national park, we were able to see lizards, snakes, wallaby, kangaroos, and a platypus.  I guess wombats are nocturnal and they only have 3 koalas hidden amongst something like 100,000 trees, so we didn’t see them.  I wanted to go to the zoo/aquarium originally, but guess how much it cost?  $35 a pop.  That’s ridiculous.  Tidbinbilla turned out being so wonderful, so that was good J  The weather was perfect and I loved spending some good, wholesome, quality time with our adorable family. Sterling got some good shots of the scenery.  






At the look-out
There did come a point however towards the end, when Cora was done with the whole Tidbinbilla thing.

Isn’t this the saddest picture?  Her she is after she just spit-up all over me, my shoes, and her face.  And this is also when we decided to leave the beautiful lookout point and head back. (As a random side note, the other day, a woman looked at Cora and said, "That girl has more chins than a Hong Kong phone book!"  I had never heard that one before.  Her cheeks seem to draw a lot of attention these days!)

Cora spitting up and letting us know that she is done with the whole Tidbinbilla thing!

When we got back to the visitor’s center, we decided that we should have some ice-cream and enjoy the beautiful weather just a little bit longer.  Sterling bought Cora the cutest stuffed platypus (that never was alive).  She really seems to like it—almost as much as he does J  She’ll grow into it, I’m sure.  It really is pretty awesome.


A small rodent is attacking our child!  (Just kidding.  It's just an awesome stuffed platypus.)
We had so much fun and are looking forward to more weekend excursions!

On Sunday we went to the Ginnenderra Ward for church. It was nice.  We even went to choir after :)  Because Sterling was the choir director in our old ward, we have a lot more sympathy for choir directors and want to support them any way we can!  Sterling let them know that I play the piano and I am already scheduled to accompany a musical number in the next few weeks.  I guess there is no reason to jump right in, right?

Now, Sterling and I are typically not huge Halloween people for some reason.  But, yesterday we got invited to a big Halloween party by one of the American families here.  Now, in order to make some friends and be socially accepted, we feel the need to attend.  After a deep conversation with Sterling, we decided that Halloween is like anything in life:  The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. So, if we have costumes we are excited about, then we will be all excited to show them off.  Right?  As a result of a serious brainstorming session, we finally came up with costume ideas.  Are you ready for this?  Is it bad luck to verbally reveal the costume before Halloween night?  We are going to go as Zeus, Venus, and Cupid.  We want to be cheap about this whole thing, so we are thinking that we can use the hotel's sheets (?) to make togas, get a lightening bolt for Sterling, find me a gold belt and headband, and make a "Cupid" sash for Cora.  Cute, right?  We'll be sure to post photos when we are all dressed up.  Let it be known that we are putting thought, effort, and a little bit of money into Halloween for the first time ever!  :)

It's been a great week.  Hope you all are doing well.  Love you and talk to you soon.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had a stuffed platypus to grow into! Love hearing about your adventures. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all! I agree with Becky, please keep it coming! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is Cora coming home? I miss her. (You guys can stay as long as you want).. JUST KIDDING. I love your adventure reports.

    ReplyDelete